Saturday, June 1, 2019

2019 No Buy

If you follow me on Instagram or if we're Facebook friends, you'll know I started a No Buy on May 30 that goes through Halloween.  This post is going to lay out my rules and exceptions for the No Buy.

The whole reason I started a No Buy was because I was getting more enjoyment out of buying things than I was at using my things.  I would buy a new makeup product, or dress, or cup (you see where I'm going here) and I would use it until the novelty wore off then I'd go buy something else.  Wash, Rinse, Repeat.  Not only did I blow through my entire savings account at Ulta (I'm serious. We won't talk about it), but up until the past couple of weeks I wasn't even wearing makeup consistently.  I am going to miss the endorphin rush of buying new things, don't get me wrong, but I'm trying to bulk up my savings account and teach myself to use what I have and enjoy what I have already spent my hard earned money on.

This is not going to be easy.  This is not a casual decision I've made.  I need this.  There's no two ways about it and I finally bit the bullet and started.  I budgeted my last paycheck down to the absolute nickel and stashed a nice bit into my savings account to start bulking it back up.  I drive a bug.  They're expensive when they break!!

So, onto my guidelines for this No Buy.

Cannot Buy:


  • Makeup*
  • Clothes*
  • Coffee
  • Vending Machine Pop
  • Snacks At Work
  • Non-essentials
  • Beauty Products*
*I can repurchase items that ran out or wore out during the no buy UNLESS I have a substitution at my disposal. For example, I can purchase mascara, BLACK eyeliner, skin care, makeup wipes, and BLACK tennis shoes.

Can Buy:

  • Groceries (including snacks FOR work)
  • Gas
  • Gum as needed (this is an essential for me but I tend to buy it in bulk)
  • Essential makeup without a backup
  • Anything necessary, up to my own discretion.
I have one more exception to this no-buy, which might not even be technically an exception as it wore out (well, the dog ate it).  Every October, It Cosmetics releases a pink foundation brush for Breast Cancer Awareness month.  The dog got his paws on my last one, and I am making that one exception that I can buy because it was my FAVORITE brush and I used it all the time.  It was money well spent.

I am 3 days in, and I have already made a list in my phone of things I wanted to buy but didn't fall into the guidelines of my no-buy so I skipped on.  I want to keep track of how much money I am going to be saving not spending my money on nonsense (hellllllo iced coffees...those bad boys add up!!). So far I have saved $52.03. Not even kidding, out of all of those purchases I wouldn't have thought twice about, 5 were iced coffees, 3 were snacks at sheetz, and 1 was a kitchen scale.  I ALREADY HAVE A KITCHEN SCALE.

Fingers crossed about this, guys. I made the budget, I filled the cash envelopes, and I am developing the support system on instagram.  This is my last form of accountability, and I have faith in myself that I can achieve this.  155 days of not buying nonsense.

Does this inspire you to start your own no buy? Leave your comments down below!!

xoxo,

Rachel



Subscribe to Our Blog Updates!




Share this article!

1 comment:

  1. 🙌🏻 I like the idea of adding up how much you -wanted- to spend. I might do a no-buy week and see how that goes. I am terrible at overspending on my hobby-du jour. Gardening, card making, sticker making ( well anything-making really), video games, and currently makeup.

    ReplyDelete

Return to top of page
Powered By Blogger | Design by Genesis Awesome | Blogger Template by Lord HTML